Cattle Healthcare by Allegheny Equine Veterinary Service
Our mobile veterinary service provides routine herd health to producers in our service area. Our veterinarians will partner with you to create a herd management program that matches your goals and ultimately increases productivity and profitability. As part of our routine herd health services we can:
- Establish & maintain customized vaccination programs
- Design a deworming and parasite management plan
- Provide nutrition counseling
- Perform castrations, dehornings and palpation
Herd health plans are custom designed depending on your goal of management as a commercial producer, pure-bred producer, show animal owner, or hobbyist. We work with you to develop a plan that takes into consideration the personalized aspects of your specific management style, including organic to grass fed programs. Management consultation and herd work is conducted on an hourly basis and includes basic procedures such as nutrition counseling, pregnancy palpation, castration and disbudding. Additional fees apply for medications and specific testing.
AEVS offers a wide range of individual and herd reproductive services.
- Pregnancy diagnosis via palpation or ultrasound
- Herd synchronization for timed breeding
- Artificial insemination
- Dystocia management
- Abortion investigation
Additional services are available for individual bovine patients. Some services may be offered on farm via our mobile veterinary service and others may be offered at our haul in hospital.
Examination, Diagnosis & Treatment of Individual Sick Cows:
- In house blood work & fecal analysis
- Trace mineral analysis with liver biopsy
- Weight loss
Individual Surgical Procedures:
- Castration (Cosmetic, Aged Bulls, & Stags)
- Cosmetic dehorning
- Tumor removal
Our hospital is equipped to treat intensive care calves in a climate controlled environment. We routinely treat calves for:
- Plasma transfusion
- IV fluid therapy
- Treatment of sepsis, naval ill or joint ill
Our veterinarians are USDA Accredited to provide regulatory testing and special diagnostic services to your individual patient or herd. We utilize both state and university labs across the country to attain the most reliable diagnostic results.
- Tuberculosis testing Brucellosis testing and vaccination
- Respiratory Disease
- Bovine leukemia virus (BLV)
- Bovine Viral Diarrhea (BVD)
- Pink eye (Infectious Bovine Keratoconjunctivitis)
- Trace mineral analysis
- Necropsy for diagnosis of loss and sample collection
Our veterinarians are experienced in writing veterinary feed directives or written prescriptions where necessary. To comply with state and federal law, the prescribing veterinarian must visit the farm at least once a year and be an active participant in herd management.